Thursday, April 24, 2008

My "Green Living" List

I have been putting a lot of thought into how I can make changes in my daily living to reduce my ecological imprint. I took a quiz at ecologicalfootprint.com to assess my consumption and while I'm far below the national average, I am still beyond my share of the earth's capacity. Here is my commitment plan for greener living:
  1. I am going to walk or bike whenever possible.
  2. I am going to avoid leaving my car in idle. If I'm waiting for more than 30 seconds, I will turn off the engine and I will stop going though the drive through.
  3. I will keep the tires adequately inflated to maximize gas mileage.
  4. I have an energy efficient dryer but I am going to start drying clothes on a clothesline whenever possible.
  5. I will increase my food purchases from our farmer's market whenever possible and try to buy foods that have not traveled long distances to get to the store.
  6. I will purchase food from the bins or with minimal packaging to reduce waste.
  7. I will eat lower on the food chain—going meatless for just one meal a week can make a difference. Globally, it has been estimated that 18% of all greenhouse gas emissions are associated with meat consumption.
  8. I will use more recycled items in my art. Did you know that if about 10,000 people used recycled paper (scraps and paper headed for the trash) to make their cards there would be over 400 trees saved per year!? That's a lot of trees.
  9. I will buy more vintage and recycled (pre-owned) clothing, furniture and toys. It not only saves money, it is good for the planet.
  10. I will post green living tips on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment