Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday Challenge: "Shape Cards"

This week's challenge on the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog is a to create a "Shaped Card."  I have been looking forward to this week's challenge because I just purchased Wild Card 2.  This is such a cool cartridge guys! It is so much better than any of the other Cricut "card" cartridges.  The designs are dynamic and the card phrases aren't as cliche. 

I selected an octopus looking monster card for my project so that the "shaped card" part was clear.  The caption associated with this image is "Need a hand?"  Not a greeting I'd use, but to each his own.  I skipped the greeting all together and focused on making a colorful, dimensional, playful card that I could actually give to someone.  I thought this design would be great for a kid's birthday.

 
I used pop dots to lift the top layer off of the base to give the card dimension and movement.

I made a few changes to the cartridge design for the face. I thought the original design was cute but too matchy-matchy.  I wanted the card to feel a little more alive and googley eyes did the trick.  My daughter's Jack-o-lantern smile inspired me to turn the mouth cut upside down.  See the resemblance:


I really like the Cricut cartridge Wild Card 2 and am looking forward to making more of its great designs.

21 comments:

  1. Great card! Love the two different sized eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the two different papers for the legs on this. What fun. The teeth reversed is so great and the large eye...LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a little while to commit to my papers. I needed something monster worthy. =)

      Delete
  3. This is adorable! I love the different patterned papers you used, and the different sized wiggle eyes are a hoot! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this super fun!

    Great job.

    Catarina

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soo cute !!! Love the monster he is so cute !!!

    Mayra
    MayrasDesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a GREAT image for a shaped card, I think the paper you chose is perfect and I love the wiggle eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jilliene, your card is AWESOME! I love this octopus monster. His eyes are fantastic! Great paper choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun card! I love the papers you used, and the google eyes and upside down mouth are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee hee. So super cute and love that your daughter's smile inspired you! So cute!!
    Scrappy hugs, Connie FCCB Dt sis
    http://conniecancrop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie. my husband keeps asking me "when is she going to start getting back her teeth?

      Delete
  10. what a cutie for a monster. ha love it hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your monster, what a great card. I love all the little changes you made.
    FCCB DT - JoNeita

    ReplyDelete