The best way to combat the holiday blues and whip up some holiday spirit is to be in service to others. Yes, even if your well is dry, you feel you have nothing to give or you just don't have the time. There is always a way to bring light to another person. Always. And by doing so, you get a little light too. So here is a short list of ten sure-fire ways to get into the holiday spirit!
- make and send Christmas cards for our troops
- make and drop off cookies to the local fire dept.
- Buy extra food at the grocery store and drop it in the food donation can or better yet, start a can food drive at your work, school and/or association by contacting youror rescue organization.
- find out how you can be in service for a local shelter - whether it is donating, time, money or services. Every little bit helps make this world a better place.
- donate new toys to the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program. To find your local chapter, click here
- Organize a group to sing Christmas Carols at a local retirement home
- Buy the person behind you in line at Starbucks a coffee
- Vow to change one behavior for the good of the planet
- Make and give your neighbors, postal worker, hair stylist, and other support people a homemade card and/or gift like hot coco in a recycled jar with marshmellows on top or gingerbread cookies. You can always include a gift card if you have the money to give.
- Resist the urge to buy useless gifts just to cross someone off of your shopping list. You end up supporting a disposable economy and contributing to global warming. This is especially hard when you have a tight budget because we never want to be caught empty handed. Instead have a tree planted in this person's name. It only costs $4 and they will receive an e-certificate and GPS coordinates so you can visit the tree.
Let me know if you try any of these ideas or if you have another to add.