Monday, August 26, 2013

FCCB Heat Wave Challenge using Summer Celebrations Cricut Cartridge

This week's challenge at Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog is "Heat Wave," which left me with a lot of wiggle room to create a project.  I decided to do something from the Summer Celebrations Cricut cartridge since I had not had an opportunity to use it yet. 

After a lot of page flipping, I decided to do the Pool Party card but instead of doing the single color silhouette layer presented with the card, I elected to use the full primary images from pages 33 and 34 and adhere them on top of the the card cutouts.
 

I used Design Studio to size the boy and girl images to fit perfectly on the card silhouettes.  Since their sizes were customized to fit on the card, I was unable to use the "relative" feature.  This meant that I had to I re-size each of the layers so that the clothes and other elements fit perfectly on the boy and girl base images. This was a little tedious but necessary to make everything line up perfectly.



I had a lot of fun building the color palette for the two figures.  I wanted to give the two characters some personality so I dug deep into my scraps and brought out a few of those 6 x 6" pads that I can't seem to use because they are too pretty. After some hunting, I got the look I was after.  In several cases I cut the same layer multiple times with different paper so I could introduce additional color into the design. 

For example, the little girl's skirt, bathing suit top and glasses came from one layer which I cut twice with both pink and pink polka dotted paper.  This gave her outfit a little variety.

The boy's towel and a portion of his ball were also a single layer which I cut twice with both yellow and blue cardstock.

I don't know why I chose that color for the card - I guess it just spoke to me - but once I had the card cut out I thought "wow, that is a lot of green" so I cut the card + shift in white to offset it a little.  Then, once I had the primary images of both the girl and boy assembled, I adhered them on top of the white trim so that a tiny part of the white was visible. I was still uncomfortable with the amount of green and considered re-cutting the card in a different color altogether, but then I added the sun from the Pack Your Bags Cricut cartridge and it all came together.

So there you have it.  I just love the interest created by the shadows in these images.  The designers did a great job with the Summer celebrations cartridge.

Now I need to find some time and money for a trip to Paris so I can use the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile image on page 31.

11 comments:

  1. Love it! Love your explanations and the end result is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful card! But now there is another cartridge I have to get LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful card! But now there is another cartridge I have to get LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card! Love the shadow effect of these cuts! I LOVE the papers you used for the swimming suits! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card! I really like the papers you used for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Love the great pattern on the trunks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the colors and patterns you chose-bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of work went into this and it shows! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card! I think all the extra work you did making the layers line up perfectly and cutting the layers multiple times was worth it. Your card turned out terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buying any item by online is the one of the best experience that now a days stores are provided.visit our website & find more collection for kids clothing.

    Vintage Clothing & Christian Clothing

    ReplyDelete